"Stepfamilies are the same as nuclear families (never divorced and with no prior children from other relationships) True or False".
The answer is False. Here is why.
- Stepfamilies are born out of a loss of dream, of a former relationship, of having both biological parents always together to raise and protect the children.
- The relationship between the stepchildren and the stepparent is due to living arrangements or through the marriage of their parent. They are not blood related.
- The children came before the relationship and have a previous history, the longer it is, the more complex it can be.
- Family values differ from one family to another. This is especially so if two adults bring each their children with their sets of family values. Merging these values needs negotiation and patience.
- In the nuclear family, ugly fairytale don't exist. Boy meets girl, fall in love in live happily ever after. In stepfamilies, the stepmother is always the evil one, hating her stepchildren and making their lives ever so miserable.
Understanding the differences in stepfamilies and nuclear families is the first step towards creating a harmonious and realistic family life.
If you have questions or comments about this post, I would love to hear about them. If you would like to know more about my 6 week stepfamily program, go to http://www.coachingsteps.com/